Volunteer With Us
The Friends of the Library of Los Altos is made up entirely of volunteers. We think you will enjoy helping our community, too.
Join other book lovers in supporting the library with your time and effort. You can:
You can do this from home!
These are just some of the opportunities. Contact us to volunteer.
Process donated books
- Sort: Meet with other volunteers to sort and price donated books on Thursday mornings in Hillview Community Center Room 7. Books are sorted into approximately 20 different subject categories.
- Transport: During the week, box and transfer donated books from the Main Library to Hillview Community Center (a distance of approximately 250 yards).
Help at quarterly book sales
Many volunteers are needed to staff each quarterly book sale, including:
- Pre-sale set up (generally on the Wednesday and Friday preceding the sale): set up tables and arrange boxes of books by subject matter.
- During the sale (Friday night – Sunday afternoon): greet customers, keep displays restocked, be a cashier. Sale volunteers generally work 2 1/2 - 3 hour shifts.
- Clean up after the sale ends.
Support Internet sales
- Determine if donated books are suitable for listing on our Amazon store. Price and list suitable books.
- Monitor listed prices to maintain competitiveness.
- Check our Amazon store for incoming orders, then fulfill the orders by packing and mailing the books.
Assist with in-library sales
We offer hundreds of books for sale on the ‘Ongoing Sales’ shelves in the Main library and at Woodland Branch library. Daily, volunteers refresh the stock on the shelves to be sure that the selection is current and attractively displayed.
Staff the library cafe
Cafe volunteers enjoy interacting with customers, meeting friends, and watching children grow up. Volunteers make a regular commitment to work 2-hour shifts (during the morning, at mid-day, or at closing in the afternoon) serving customers and refilling supplies. Additionally:
- Morning volunteers (9:30 am to 11:30 am) make coffee and set out food.
- Close-of-day volunteers (3:00 pm to 5:00 pm) count self-service proceeds, and/or close the cafe.
Support the website and social media
Our website needs to be updated from time to time, especially before Major Book Sales. And we have a Facebook page to help us be engaged with all the members of the Los Altos community. If you are already on the computer and on Facebook, this might suit you. And you can do this from home!
Please contact us to volunteer.